Laurie's Book Chapters

These are chapters for my "book" that I hope to write about my cochlear implant journey and experience. Chapters will not be in order but enjoy them as they are written. . .

Saturday, December 02, 2006

Swimming Lessons

Regarding water and swimming: I was reading another blog today about a little boy, Tom, with bilateral CI's and he is not crazy about being in the water for several reasons. As I read his father's comments, it brought back memories of my times spent in the water. In my younger years my mother needed a way to channel my active energy. She was one smart lady and had me take swimming lessons for years until I ran out of lessons to take! I became a synchronized swimmer in the 5th grade even though I couldn't hear the music in the water. My teachers were very good and understood that I couldn't hear when I took my "ears" off. I learned by watching others and still do. One summer while I was in high school I took a lifeguard training class because I thought it would be fun to be a lifeguard. I never got my lifeguard certificate because I failed the written portion of the exam. I could not understand anything that was said when the class was not in the water and at the time there was no book for me to follow. I passed the water portion with flying colors and could save someone's life today if needed. One of the things I'd like to do before I die is to pass that lifeguard training class and get my certificate. Every year I say I'm going to sign up for a class but have trouble finding the time. I love to swim and need to get back in the water and just do it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home